Friday, August 30, 2013

Chat Speak/Text Speak

Yesterday I was on the phone with my mother and we were talking about "chat speak" or "text speak".  For 

anyone who isn't familiar with it, it's the act of butchering the spelling of a word, or in some cases making whole 

sentences acronyms.  For example: WYD (What are You Doing) or LOL (Laughing Out Loud).  In some cases 

people will use a different letter when another letter is correct. For example the word "GOING". The other day I 

actually saw some one spell it "qoinq". No lie. I can't make this stuff up.  I really don't understand it.  Don't get 

me wrong. I've been known to use chat speak acronyms.  Sometimes on here, sometimes on FB (see), but 

mostly IN CHATS OR TEXT MESSAGES.  That is where that type of speech is appropriate.  Wen ur fb stat l

00ks lik dis....perhaps it's time to reevaluate what you're doing. That is how a fifteen year old speaks.  But hey 

what do I know? What do you guys think??

No comments:

Post a Comment