Sunday, August 25, 2013

My Thoughts (so far) on A Song of Ice and Fire

*WARNING SPOILERS*
So a few weeks ago, I began reading A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R.Martin. The story is about a kingdom that was usurped by a man and held for many years. When he died the throne fell to his son. However there were those who believed that his children weren't "true born" (born of him). There were rumors that his wife, the Queen Cersei, had an affair with her twin brother and that he is the real father of her children. So now there are five people vying for the Iron Throne; the throne that sits in Kings Landing, the capital.
The king in the North, Robb Stark is the son of the late Lord Eddard Stark. He was the kings hand but his head was chopped off b/c they accused him of treason. King Robb along with his bannerman, sworn lords, and his trusty direwolf Grey Wind mount attacks against the Lannisters (the Queen Cersei's family and the young King Joffrey's family), among other houses and armies that stand in their way as he works to protect his kingdom in the North.
King Stannis in Dragonstone is King Joffreys uncle on the late King Robert Baratheon's side. He is one that believes that Joffrey isn't true born, and since King Robert didn't have any other true born sons, then that would make his brother Stannis the lawful successor to his throne. King Stannis is being influenced by a woman named Mellisandra who believes in the God of Light. This God of Light is far different from the seven Gods that some worship as well as the tree Gods that others worship.
Balon Greyjoy is the Iron Born king. I don't really count him because he isn't mentioned much. I guess that tells you just how big his claim is....
I apparently started this awhile ago and never finished. I have however finished reading the series thus far. After the first two books, Mr. Martin tends to get a bit wordy. However it was a great read.  I'm looking forward to the next installment; whenever that may be.  A lot of fans of this story haven't actually read the book series.  The watch the show.  I watched the first season and I must say, I was impressed! I haven't been able to watch the seasons so far.  I feel it is safe to say that I'm behind in the story as books that transition to television or film often times have a tendency to stray from the original storyline. Hopefully in the near future I can get caught up, and I look forward to bringing you more reviews on books/series that I'm  reading. Most likely it will be the adventures of Robert Langdon as told by Dan Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment